You know you’re from Vancouver when…
1. You know the provincial flower. (Mildew)
2. You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.
3. You use the statement “sunny break” and know what it means.
4. You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.
5. You know more people who own more boats than air-conditioners.
6. You feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant.
7. In Vancouver the bike rules. So why are the bike lanes empty?
8. You consider that if it has no snow, it is not a real mountain.
9. You can taste the difference between Starbucks, Esquires, and Tim Horton’s.
10. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye salmon.
11. You know how to pronounce Squamish, Osoyoos, Nanaimo, Pattullo, and Tsawwassen.
12. You consider swimming an indoor sport.
13. You can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean and Thai food.
14. In winter, you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark while only working eight-hour days.
15. You never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.
16. You are not fazed by “Today’s forecast: showers followed by “rain” and “Tomorrow’s forecast rain followed by showers.”
17. You love the rain – better than plugging in the car.
18. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation.
19. You know that Dawson Creek is a town, not a TV show.
20. You can point to at least two ski mountains, even if you cannot see through the cloud cover.
21. You notice “the mountain is out” when it is a pretty day and you can actually see it.
22. You put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 5 but still wear your hiking boots and parka.
23. You switch to your sandals when it gets about 10, but keep your socks on!!
24. You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.
25. You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.
26. You recognize the background shots in your favourite movies & TV shows.
27. You buy new sunglasses every year, because you can’t find the old ones after such a long time.
28. You measure distance in hours. A Bridge anyone!
29. You often switch from “heat “to “a/c” in your car in the same day.
30. You use a down comforter in the summer.
31. You carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them.
32. You design your kid’s Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat.
33. You know all the important seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Raining (Spring), Road Construction (Summer) & Raining Again. (Fall)
34. The gym is packed at 3 pm — on a work day.
35. You know you could not find a two bedroom furnished apartment for under $3000.
36. You know the best way to experience the Drive is on foot.
37. You make 250K a year & still can’t afford a house.
38. You know that a den/office in a new building is really only a storage room – you have to leave in order to change your mind!!
39. You know that the West End, West Vancouver and the West Side are three different places.
40. You realize there are far more Rainbow flags in the city than the Canadian flag.
41. A really good parking spot can move you to tears.
42. You know when someone is doing the Grind – they are not at work. Grouse Grind.
43. At 8:00 am in Starbucks the guy with the baseball cap and glasses looks like George Clooney – IS – George Clooney!
44. You prepare differently for a day at the beach – based on if it’s Wreck (nude) or Ambleside (West Van).
Sent in by Jana, Welcomehome Relocation Consultant, Vancouver, BC.